In the late 1920s, the Santa Fe
upgraded its passenger car fleet with a large number of new cars.
Most were built by Pullmand-Standard. The 1890 was one of the
purchased at that time.
The car features large end-doors,
loading bulky items such as sets for touring broadway shows, light
and the like. Similar cars were built to carry horses; the "horse
cars" are identified by the fact that they are equipped with three side
doors, rather than the two incorporated into the 1890.
Santa Fe donated the 1890 to the Gulf
Museum in 1984. It has since been repainted to its original
green, and the interior now accommodates the museum's Visitors Center
Below, AT&SF 1890 as it
appeared upon its
arrive at the museum after donation by Santa Fe. The car had been
assigned to maintenance of way service before being acquired by the
Photo by Al Dykes.
Back to Roster Index
Back to Home Page